history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


  St. Louis Baseball Team is Named the Cardinals
Brief Description:  Although the St. Louis Cardinals had been part of the National League since 1891, they were originally called the St. Louis Browns. Frank and Stanley Robison changed the name to the Perfectos when they bought the team from Chris Von der Ahe. The team was outfitted in red-striped stockings and red-trimmed uniforms. When sportswriter Willie McHale, of the St. Louis Republic, heard a lady fan remark, "What a lovely shade of cardinal," the new nickname was used in his column, and struck a chord with St. Louis fans. The team officially changed its name from the Perfectos to the Cardinals in 1900. The ballpark also discarded the old SportsmanĀ“s Park name in favor of League Park.
Year:  1900
Decade:  1900 - 1909

Von Der Ahe, Christian Frederick

Related Links
St. Louis History



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0