history images Mound City on the Mississippi Home Page
image menu Buildings, Sites, and Objects People, Places, and Things Events, Incidents, and Occurrences Bibliography


  Railway Exchange is Built
Brief Description:  The Barr Department Store Company built the 21-story Railway Exchange Building in 1912 and when it opened in 1913, occupied about the first twelve floors. At the time of its construction, the building was the tallest in St. Louis. The first seven floors are still occupied by the department store, now called Famous-Barr, owned by the May Department Store Co. The upper stories of the building house various offices of the May Co.
Year:  1912
Decade:  1910 - 1919
Beginning Date:    1912
Ending Date:     Jan. 01, 1913

"Downtown Famous Ages Gracefully"



about historic preservationnew entries4 kids onlymap it!

This site was made possible by: the City of St. Louis Planning and Urban Design Agency and
the City of St. Louis Community Information Network.

This site was funded in part by Federal funds administered by the Missouri State Historical Preservation Office, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, The National Park Service, and the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Version 1.0